Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Step 5: Injure yourself

Due in part to Step 4 I have decided that step five would be a shoulder injury. I hurt it two ways, as I found out in talking to Robert. The first is that I push myself too quickly. As soon as I feel strong enough to increase my workout I do, which doesn't allow the rest of my body (i.e. tendons) to catch up. I need to work out at a consistent level for longer than a week. The second way I hurt myself was with my brand new punching bag. I have gloves for it, but I wanted to push myself harder so I got hand wraps as well. That way I could punch full power. When Shaw's representative turned her own ignorance setting to "extreme" I lost it and beat the tar out of my heavy bag. I guess I know my limit now. Its somewhere between "that's going to hurt in the morning" and "that hurts a lot right now." Now I will be out for at least a week. What a setback. It will probably be a few days before I can even kick again because it hurts to stabilize my shoulder when I do some kicks. Thats also a shame because I was really enjoying this kick. Known as a swing kick or a crescent kick (or maybe even a wave kick?) it is quite an improvement over the crescent kick we use for stretching here.

No comments:

Post a Comment