Thursday, February 10, 2011

Write a story

Step 7 is to write a novel. Remember when you were reading that really weak novel you bought, and you said to yourself "I can write a better book than this." Well now is your chance.
Actually on a number of occasions I have had what I felt was a really good idea for a story. The problem is I dont know how to get from a good basic idea to a complete novel with interesting characters and plot twists and everything. Well I found an article about something called the snowflake method. Its actually quite genius. And if you think that its somehow cheating then maybe now you see why there are stores full of books out there that never should have been printed. A dead mule could spit drivel into this method and come up with a 400 page novel. Would it be worth reading, well I can't say. Thats for the publisher to decide. But if it works that well for rubbish ideas then your good idea should work out fine. I have always been a firm believer in the infinite monkey theorem, the idea that a thousand monkeys on a thousand typewriters would eventually write the greatest novel known to man. If enough of us write the best thing we can for long enough we'll get a few more "Great Expectations" or "Lord of the Flies" or even "1984" calibre books. I figure I'll take a stab at it. If it doesn't work out maybe they can make a movie out of it. After all they made "A Bridge to Terabithia". Twice.
If I had taken art in highschool maybe I could have written a graphic novel. They are all the rage these days, with great titles like Dragonball in the 90's, and Naruto in the 2000's. Hellboy was a winner. Again if the graphic novel wasn't great it would always work its way to the big screen, like Suckerpunch.
This all may sound crazy, but its my quickest way to be on Oprah. How does Dr. Cody sound?

1 comment:

  1. I hear Harlequin Romances are easy to write. Handsome rich guy falls for beautiful poor girl. They ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after.

    ReplyDelete